If you look to your right, you’ll notice in our sidebar, the newly added, poll asking for you to pick your preferred choice for a “nickname” for the Hunger Games Fandom. This poll lists the top 6 choices, fans from several major fansites, and the Official Hunger Games Movie Facebook Page collected over the course of several days. We tallied more than 1300 votes (an incredible response) to come up with this “top 6,” so thank you very much for your suggestions.
If you missed our post last week, you are probably wondering “why” we are choosing and “what” the point is of a nickname.
Well the “why” is simple. Last week Ted from Eonline’s The Awful Truth, dubbed Hunger Games fans as “Jabberjays”. Many first reactions were similar, why should the media name our fandom, and two do we want to be known as “Jabberjays”? So, rather than sit back and let the media “decide” who we are as a fandom, we wanted to know what the fans thought our nickname (if any) should be. And that’s where all of you came in and went above and beyond with your amazing suggestions. Some were incredibly creative (Mockingeek), others simple (Tributes), but it was fantastic to see the response, and in some cases the well thought out reasoning behind each suggestion.
So now were on to the next question, “What’s the point of having a nickname?” Well first and foremost, remember this is for fun and nothing more. Just a creative way to refer to the fandom as a whole, that was chosen by those that matter the fans, not the media. If you aren’t happy with the nickname that is chosen in the poll, please remember you can still refer to yourself by the name you feel most comfortable with. The poll is just a way for us to see what the majority of the fans prefer. Personally my favorites didn’t make the poll, but I’ll be happy with whatever is chosen, but I’ll always think of myself as the Mockingeek from District 14. And of course if you do not prefer a nickname at all, we’ve added the option in of just referring to the fandom as Hunger Games Fans or HG Fans.
So, what are the pros and cons to each of the name choices? Well here are some of the points we saw for each while reading through your suggestions.
- This is a name that many use all ready on Tumblr.
- The merchandising has all ready picked up on it, there are District 12 Tribute shirts.
- In the Quarter Quell the tributes weren’t instruments of the Capitol, they were the tools of the rebellion
- The story of the Hunger Games has us following the tributes and rooting for them, we walk with them. Thus being a tribute represents the story well.
- “We should be something with a longer life span.”
- Tributes are pawns at the mercy of the Capitol
- “Tributes are lead to their death like lambs to their slaughter”
- It sounds funny when used in sentences such as “All the tributes are excited to watch the Hunger Games.”
- Easily recognizable with the series
- It’s the real symbol of the rebellion, and the most important one in the books
- It shows we are more than just a piece in the Capitol’s game, and we are on Katniss’ side.
- The Mockingjay is the symbol of the Districts Rebelling against the Capitol, that is what we should be represented by
- “There is only one Mockingjay and that is Katniss”
- We don’t want our whole fandom named after one book.
- This is a name all ready in use on the Scholastic Hunger Games Boards
- We are always jabbering about the book to anyone who will listen, and talking about all the latest news, so aren’t we jabberjays all ready?
- The Jabberjays may have been intended to be used by the Capitol, but they backfired on them.
- Jabberjays were created as instruments of the Capitol to spy on the Districts. Do we want to be something associated with evil?
- “Jabberjays tortured Katniss and Finnick in the Cave, not something I want to call myself”
- People who haven’t read the books, won’t necessarily know what we mean.
- It’s simple, and everyone will know what we mean..
- The nickname should have something to do with the title of the series
- The term “Gamers” makes us seem like video game addicts
- It’s a mouthful to say
- Katniss was the Mockingjay and the people who stood with her were called Rebels. Since we stand beside her, we should be called Rebels too.
- It’s simple, yet descriptive
- The term all ready has too many other meanings, and isn’t unique enough for the fandom.
- The word could be confusing to others who are thinking we are out to “cause a riot”
Hunger Games Fans (HG Fans)
- We don’t need a nickname to define who we are.
- It’s simple and people will know what we are referring to.
- I’ve all ready been calling myself this, so why change now?
- Keep it simple
- The media will create one for us, even if we don’t want one, we might as well pick one we like.
- It’s fun to have something unique that is all our own, and this isn’t unique.
- It’s a mouthful to say
So, now that you’ve read about the options, and what other fans are thinking about each, please take a moment and vote in the poll (if you haven’t all ready), we really want to know what the majority of fans are thinking on this issue.